16 Feb 2011

Introduction

My name is Gavin and I am a mature student at Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland, UK. I'm currently studying 'Media & Communications' and as part of my coursework I have decided to produce a blog on a specific area of interest. As I am also the co-manager of GCU's student radio station (Radio Caley) it should come as of no surprise to learn that I have decided to focus on the Glasgow Radio Scene.

However, there is a twist in the tail as although I shall take a look at independent, commercial and national radio my main focus will be on the unsung heroes, the mostly unpaid and volunteer groups who produce some of the more obscure output on our airwaves and online.

Heard of Sandaig Radio? Know who'd be presenting on your local hospital radio station? Any idea what the output is of the local universities in the Glasgow area?

If the answer to any of these questions is 'no', then please follow this blog and find out. You might be pleasantly surprised, whilst finding an alternative to your current radio listening habits.

One question I have been asked was why I chose the name Obsidian Notes for the blog? Well, it stems from high quality record turntable plinths, which were manufactured from obsidian in the 1970s such as those produced by Technics. The quality of output was remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment